Latest articles and information direct from the Isla Baits official website.

First time out on Isla baits Tigernut bait

  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

First time out on Isla baits Tigernut bait.

It wasn’t particularly cold, but with estate lake being around 4ft deep with little variants, the water temp had dropped and fish had slowed down. I came and fed the lakes residents about four days before in a couple of different spots.


So as expected no one else on the lake. I decided to fish the north bank where a  little wind was blowing into my face. I had seen little movement in the hour or so i had been there walking round.

I was only out for one night so decided three rods, two on a baited area and one about 15ft off the baited area. This time of year i favour and almost 100% of my fishing is on a snowman rig. So rod one was an 18mm tigernut bottom bait with a bright pink fruity pop up topping it. With a little piece of putty just behind the boilie pinning the hook to the floor leaving bait wafting upright. Cast out to baited area and got it on the money. Rod two was baited with 14mm tigernut bottom bait with a trimmed down washed out pink fishy type pop up. It looked really good when checked in margin just slowly sinking with both hook and bait just lifted off the bottom by slightest movement. Ideal i thought. Third rod was baited with Isla baits signature boilie with a stringer of 3 boilies cast out about same distance but about 15ft off the baited spot.

I put about 3/4kg of Isla baits Tigernut boilies mixed 18 and 14mm over the two rods. With darkness closing in and temperature dropping i figured it was time for dinner and a brew before i slid into my warm sleeping bag for the evening doing a little reading.

About 9pm the lefthand rod let out a few bleeps, which had me hovering ready to dive out my sleeping bag.

Sadly no more bleeps, all fell silent as did i as i drifted off to sleep.

At 11.30pm one single bleep on the middle rod, followed by a screetching one toner. I was on it in a flash. Lifted the rod to an angry little carp running for its life, shaking its head as it went. I soon took control of this spirited little carp and soon had it in the net.


With tripod set up and camera ready to go i lifted the fish into the cradle, and then up for a quick picture before weighing it more for reference than anything else. It weighed 13lb 4oz. I returned the unhappy little carp back to its cold watery home.

After checking the picture, and this is just a little bugbear of mine. I realised i still had head-torch on my head, personally i like to remove it before photos.

New baited rig back out on the spot, but to no avail. Sadly that was the only carp in that quick overnighter.

Cant wait to be back out doing battle once more with a quality bait for quality carp.